Wednesday, May 30, 2007

You want me to what?

Dax continues to teach me the differences between the terrier-type dogs I've always had and bulldogs.

Last night in Novice Obedience class our instructor was showing us a method of teaching correct heeling position called "binding," which is basically keeping the dog at your side by using slight, constant pressure on the leash.

The instructor said "forward" and everyone in class set off at a nice brisk pace. Except me, with my French Bulldog. I tightened up on the leash and she sat down. And stayed there. I could have taken her for a nice drag, but opted to loosen up on the leash and return to my favorite Dax-training method: bribery. She's pretty strictly a "what's in it for me?" kind of girl.

We had a good time after that. We understand each other fairly well. I bring the good treats and she'll consider doing what I want. It works for us.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a pekingese who would do exactly what your Frenchie did - sit!
Lulu had "attitude" and obedience would have been "beneath her" ! LOL
Where as the cairn terrier I had would sort of do it and my only dog I have now, Oscar - a pug x maltese , well he did do obedience and he did what he was told. Oscar lives to please.

ally said...

Oh furbabies! My two cairns are just like your Dax. This post put a smile on my face. I guess in the end she did do it...her way.

Anonymous said...

Dax sound pretty much like all of us.

Hope said...

Lulu sounds just like Golly! She went as far as she wanted in obedience, then, very politely, said: "I don't think so, thank you for asking!" lol
I've never actually had a dog that was interested in pleasing me. I'll have to try it someday. Although with my breeds, it may be the year the Cubs win the World Series!

Kahshe Cottager said...

Some fur children just have a mind of their own don't they?

Uncivil said...

Oh yes, mine are "what's in it for me?" kind of girls too!

I hate it when I take them to the river and forget their treats, but not quite as much as they do I suppose!LOL