Saturday, April 28, 2007

A spot of wild in the city

It's probably not unusual for many people to see Downy Woodpeckers around. It is very, very unusual for me to see any - especially right outside our shop. This little guy (girl?) was pecking away at a tree right on a busy intersection at 9 a.m. today.
I was actually taking out some trash when I saw it, so I ran back in to get the camera. It didn't seem bothered at all when I walked up to it - but flew away after I managed just a couple of pictures.
The oddest thing - aside from the proximity to the street - is that this tree is tiny - only about six feet tall. So I had the woodpecker at eye level for a while. What a beautiful bird! I love the little red crest on its head. And while I'm no birdwatcher - a quick search of Google images let me identify my little friend. What a neat start to my day!

1 comment:

Kahshe Cottager said...

That is unusual to see a woodpecker in that environment. Hope the rest of your weekend was a wonderful!