Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Why didn't I think of that?

I belong to several discussion groups online - who doesn't? The topic of one of them is obedience training small dogs. There's been a recent discussion that made me want to smack myself in the forehead. It seems so obvious, once it's been pointed out.

The topic? Shoes. Specifically, what kind to wear while training/showing a small dog. One person asked the list for recommendations. And then it occurred to me - I am, as previously mentioned, a klutz. Roc, smart fella that he is, stays away from my feet. Which is problematic when you're trying to teach heel, front, "get in." In other words, all of the wonderful things dogs need to actually qualify in the obedience ring.

It's been my habit to wear gym shoes to train - good thick rubber soles so I don't slip and fall on my face. I didn't think about how wide my feet become in these clodhoppers. Of course Roc won't heel as closely as I'd like. His paws would be dangerously close to those behemoths at the end of my legs!

I'm going shopping. Ballet-type slippers, I think. Or teeny little Keds. After I start using the new shoes to train, I'm sure I'll come up with another wonderfully creative reason we don't qualify!

No comments: