Monday, April 17, 2006

Dog Person or Cat Person?

Isn't it fun how you can usually tell who's a dog person and who's really a cat person but doesn't mind dogs (not too much, anyway). I'm reading the latest paperback; The Serpent On The Crown, from one of my favorite authors, Elizabeth Peters. It's part of her series featuring Amelia Peabody, a Victorian Egyptologist with an attitude and penchant for getting into trouble. I just smile my way through these books

Anyway, the series follows Peabody's adventures through the years and most mention the household cat, or cats, depending on the year. These felines are full of personality, distinct in their preferences, and are granted status as members of the family. This may have something to do with the fact that cats were revered in ancient Egypt - the cat featured in this book is known as the Great Cat of Re.

For the first time, (that I can remember) the family finally has a dog. That gets no respect. It's a huge, floppy, amiable puppy that gets swatted around by the cat, is left outside while the family is inside but is loyal, sweet and graced with the name of an Egyptian princess.

I haven't finished the book yet, so I'm hoping that the pup becomes a vital member of the family. So far, she's a second-class citizen. I get the impression that Elizabeth Peters is a cat person.

No comments: